- Carcinoma of Maxillary Sinus
- Most common histology – squamous cell carcinoma (MCQ)
- Nodal metastases are uncommon and occur only in the late stages of disease.
- CT scan. is the best non-invasive method to find the extent of disease.
- Caldwell-Luc operation. Direct visualisation of the site of tumour in the sinus also helps in staging of the tumour.
- Ohngren’s classification.
- An imaginary plane is drawn, extending between medial canthus of eye and the angle of mandible
- Growths situated above this plane (suprastructural) have a poorer prognosis than those below it (intrastructural).
- For squamous cell carcinoma, a combination of radiotherapy and surgery gives better results than either alone.
- Radiotherapy can be given before or after surgery.
- Very often, a full course of pre-operative telecobalt therapy is given, followed 4-6 weeks later by surgical excision of the growth by total or extended maxillectomy (MCQ)
- Ethmoid Sinus Malignancy
- Ethmoid sinuses are often involved from extension of the primary growths of the maxillary sinus.
- Adenocarcinoma of ethmoid sinus occur’s commonly in Wood workers (MCQ)
- Nickle workers have a high incidence of carcinoma of Ethmoid sinuses (MCQ)
- In early cases, treatment is pre-operative radiation, followed by lateral rhinotomy and total ethmoidectomy.
- If cribriform plate is involved, anterior cranial fossa is exposed by a neurosurgeon and total exenteration of the growth in one piece is accomplished by what is called craniofacial resection.
Maxillary sinus tumor: Neurofibroma
right maxillary sinus mass causing right facial pain
Just Breathe: Healing from Sinus Cancer
Stage 4 cancer near his brain put a number on Jacob’s remaining days.
maxillary sinus cyst removal
Endoscopic maxillary sinus cyst removal through nostrils
Maxillary Sinus lift Lateral Window Technique
In this clinical surgical technique video, Dr kuljeet Mehta-Periodontist, demonstrates the lateral window sinus technique and augmentation with xenograft (BioOss), PRGF (Plasma Rich in Growth factor) and resorbable collagen membrane, before placing dental implants
3D volume rendering (DVT) of female skull with maxillary sinusitis and dental cyst
in this video, you will see the individual slices and the exact dimension of the cyst as well as the awesome 3D volume rendering of those slices, plus a couple of clinical images…
Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, Maxillary Sinus Disease
Dr Kevin Soh explains how maxillary sinus disease which causes cheek pain can be alleviated with endoscopic sinus surgery.