Delusional disorder VS Brief psychiatric disorder for USMLE Step 2 CK
- Delusional disorder
- a fixed non-bizarre thought
- non-bizarre means that the thought is possible but it’s not true. e.g patient think that people are after him to kill him.
- It’s usually a single delusion
- It does not impair patient functioning significantly.
- Brief psychiatric disorder
- a full psychotic dimension but for less than 30 days.
- The delusions are usually bizarre which means they are not possible such as out of space aliens will come and take you. Usually the patient has multiple delusions not only one
- it impairs domestic and social functioning significantly.