- Meconium ileus
- Commonest cause of neonatal intraluminal intestinal obstruction (MCQ)
- 80% cases are associated with cystic fibrosis (MCQ)
- Inherited as an autosomal recessive trait
- Viscid pancreatic secretions cause autodigestion of pancreatic acinar cells
- Resulting meconium is abnormal and putty-like in consistency
- Meconium becomes inspissated in the lower ileum (MCQ)
- There is a microcolon(MCQ)
- Presents with bilious vomiting and distension usually on first day of life(MCQ)
- Passage of meconium is delayed
- Meconium filled loops of bowel may be palpable
- X-ray may show a ‘ground-glass’ appearance, especially in the right upper quadrant(MCQ)
- Gastrografin enemas may be successful in 50% of patients (MCQ)
- If unsuccessful, surgery will be required
- Limited resection and stomas may be required
MRCPCH: Meconium ileus by MrcpchTeam
I have discussed only important points you need to know for MRCPCH examination, hope it will benefit you thank you
This patient education video is for people with cystic fibrosis, as well as carriers of the disease. The program starts by defining cystic fibrosis and explaining its causes. The symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of cystic fibrosis are also explained. Screening for the disease is examined followed by facts that answers frequently asked questions and misconceptions.
What Is The Definition Of Ileus, meconium – Medical Dictionary Free Online Terms
Subjects: medical terminology, medical dictionary, medical dictionary free download, medical terminology made easy, medical terminology song
Meconium – What is it? We see what happens when the baby does a poo “in utero” during labour.
meconium illius after surgery
This is Maddy after they separated her intestines, she was born with meconium ileus
Laparoscopic Enterolithotomy for Gallstone Ileus
Bronchiectasis – CRASH! USMLE Step 2 and 3
I forgot to include the differential diagnosis…
*2° to Cystic fibrosis (dx w/ sweat chloride test, pt has hx of meconium ileus, usually dx in childhood);
*Asthma (no abnormality on CT, less if any sputum, dramatically improves w/ beta-agonist);
Cystic fibrosis gene and protein at work, Rate My Science
Cystic fibrosis (also known as CF, mucovoidosis, or mucoviscidosis) is a hereditary disease affecting the exocrine (mucus) glands of the lungs, liver, pancreas, and intestines, causing progressive disability due to multi-system failure.
Stone Ileus – Very Rare Complication of Gallbladder Disease
Stone Ileus is A very rare complication of Gallbladder Disease.